The State of Kenya
This is actually Jess Movius, the Leister's daughter stateside. If you have been watching the news, you have seen that Kenya is in the middle of strife and possible civil war.
Mom and Dad wanted me to give you a clearer picture of what is going on and give you some specific prayer points.
My family, at this time, is safe. They feel that they are not in any real physical harm. This is very much an internal battle between tribes. Because of the way President Kibaki handled the election, the opposing tribe wants retribution. There are many in the Kukuyu tribe that are being targeted just because they are of that tribe.
My parents have been in contact with the US Embassy there in Kenya. There is a warden over each city and they have spoken with the one for Eldoret. They have assured them that if the situation worsens they will extract Americans from the country.
Things to be praying for:
1. Protection - Obviously, anything could happen. Please pray protection for my family, but also for those that are caught in the middle of this fight.
2. Provisions - There greatest threat is running out of food. Because of all that is going on, the stores only open for limited amount of time or not at all. One report we heard was that the merchants had given Kibaki and ultimatum. Stating that if something was not done regarding the election results, they would not open. I am not sure if this was just in Nairobi or nationwide. Also because of the conflict, things are not going from city to city so stores are not able to replenish even if they are open.
3. Peace - Peace for my family, for the nation, for the tribes. That the nation of Kenya would sense the peace of God that would allow them to resolve this.
4. God's Will - Obviously, we all want this more than anything. That what God would will would be done.
5. Thursday - Odinga, the leader of the opposition, is going to have a rally and set up a parallel government. Please be praying for this. There will be rallies held in many of the major cities that have supported Odinga. Eldoret is one of those cities.
My parents ask that you please continue to pray. They know that pray will be the deciding factor in this situation.
If you have questions, please feel free to contact me. I have been talking with my family about twice a day. If you do not know me personally, please leave a comment and I will respond to it.
We know that God knew my parents would be there during this situation. He is never caught blind-sided. They are there with purpose. They have taken in a couple of families to give them refuge, so good is coming of this situation.
Thank you for your consistency in prayer for my family. They feel it.